So, I’m a horrible blogger. I’ve had downtime in the last week, I promise… I’ve just been using it to read (to the detriment of my blog’s quality and my home’s cleanliness). In other news, I’m on the second book in the Song of Fire and Ice series (otherwise known as the Game of Thrones). I’m totally addicted.
I started yoga a couple of weeks ago. I got a great deal on an unlimited monthly pass at a place about 15 minutes from my house. It’s been a while since I practiced yoga, so I started off slow with some gentle beginner classes, then yesterday I jumped in the deep end and tried a level two class. I’m deliciously sore today!
Overall, it’s been a great couple of weeks. Even when the classes have been a little more relaxed than I would have liked, it was just nice to have an hour to breathe and do something for myself. Also, there’s something to be said for driving to and from class with your music blaring – that always puts me in a good mood! I do listen to music when Vivi is in the car with me, but I of course keep the volume to a non-blaring level. Unfortunately for Vivian, I sing along regardless of the volume.
A big thanks goes out to Brad for sharing the baby-watching load with me. I yoga, he Crossfits… we’re both happy about our respective daily workouts (and Vivi gets some special one-on-one time with Daddy). My goal is to attend classes at least 4 times a week. I did great the first week… and then didn’t attend at all the second week (Brad was out-of-town, then I was recuperating from him being out-of-town… yada yada yada… excuses, excuses). I think I have 3 or 4 weeks of yoga left now. I’ll be so sad when it’s over!
Vivi is doing great. Here’s a few things about her lately:
- She is still sleeping in her bouncy in the crib at night, so I’m happy about that transition. She usually takes her morning nap in the bouncy, though the last few days, she simply won’t go or stay asleep when I put her down in her room. She’ll sleep for almost two hours in the swing, though, so I often turn to that magical machine when all else fails.
- I’m still not comfortable with “cry it out”, but I do let Vivi fuss when I know she’s tired. For me, there’s a big difference between fussing and full-on crying. I can deal with fussing because I do think it’s important for a baby to learn how to soothe themselves when they are mildly uncomfortable or upset; however, I can’t stand can’t-breathe-I’m-crying-so-hard screaming. I never let Vivi get to that point. No judgement if you do CIO with your 5 month old – it’s just not for me and Brad right now. Maybe when Vivi’s older?
- Vivi loves music and singing. Her favorite is “The Way You Look Tonight”. I sing it several times a day. She also loves when Daddy “scats”. Didn’t know Brad was a jazz fan? Me either.
- This week’s funniest Daddy/Daughter moment: Brad “caterpillaring” across the carpet, i.e. Vivi sits on his chest, and he “crawls” his shoulders across the room. Vivi giggled so hard; she thinks he is hilarious!
- Peekaboo is a very fun game with a (almost) five month old. I love her big grins.
- Speaking of grinning, Vivi grins and squeals anytime she catches a glimpse of Trudy. Unbeknownst to Trudy, Vivi has even pet the kitty a few times when she was turned the other direction.
- We took Vivi to the pool for the first time this weekend. True to form, I had her in every possible sun protection known to man. Sunscreen? Check. Sun hat? Check. Sun glasses? Check. Swim suit with SPF? Check. Swim shirt with SPF? Check. [Sunburns are serious for babies, people! Did you know that one sunburn as a child drastically increases your risk for melanoma later in life? Protect those babies! Okay, off my soapbox… though if you have any questions about sunscreens, I’ve done a lot of research and would be happy to share the knowledge.] Vivi was mostly straight-faced at the pool. No big smiles… a few little ones… but no tears, considering the water was cold and the other kids were loud and splashy!
I have video of Vivi at the pool, but like all the other videos on my camcorder, I have to first upload them to the computer… then edit them… and snooooooze… there’s not enough time in the day. Hopefully, I’ll get around to it soon. The key is taking the videos, right? There’s always time for the rest later.
Bedtime – have a great Wednesday!